From Bathurst to Broadway and Back
After working in New York and a few conference destinations – including a 6-month trip to 7 countries, 30 cities & three digital marketing conferences in 2011 – I am settled back in Sydney for good with 20 years of experience under my belt working in all facets of marketing – and it all started in Bathurst with a Business Degree at Charles Sturt University. A quick snapshot follows of my journey from starry-eyed graduate to savvy, diligent and commercially driven marketing specialist.
- As someone who moves quick and thinks fast, my career started with a baptism by fire in agencies like Creative Sales, Billy Blue Design and Grey Advertising. Then with a desire to understand the inner workings of large corporations – I moved to a consumer marketing management role at Commonwealth Bank getting my first taste of the true meaning of stakeholder engagement and management.
- Settling in Manhattan for four years, working in Times Square, I applied Aussie-like ‘jill-of-all-trades’ adaptability and efficacy to brand identity and integrated campaigns with brands such as Citibank, Verizon Telecomms and MasterCard International. There is nothing like the super competitive environment of New York to hone your client service, technical and communication skills.
- Back to Sydney, I managed above the line and direct marketing campaigns at The Moult Agency, led by one of Sydney’s best known CEO’s -Tom Moult – as an Account Director on Aussie (Did you know John Symonds prefers to be filmed from one side only?), Vodafone and Dell.
- Optus Small Business wooed me back to corporate life offering the opportunity to establish and lead a new Marketing Communications team to create a more holistic, customer-focussed communication strategy – allowing cost and time efficiencies. Highlight: implementation of a first-ever marketing program at the airport for ‘Wireless Working’, established an SME website portal, a presenter at the 2007 ADMA Forum with the topic: ‘B2B doesn’t have to be boring’.
- Cut to 2007, I established my own company – GG Marketing – to work as a consultant contractor with a diverse client base to gain access to a diversity of projects to develop broader skills. The key highlights include:
- Developed and executed the first completely integrated marketing communications offline and online strategy for one of Australia’s legendary brands – COLORBOND® steel. Saved 15% on previous years’ media spend with a new cross platform media integration approach, created a digital strategy and the beginnings of a content strategy for consumer and business audiences. This client was a long term commitment of 2.5 years.
- Supporting another key advertising figure, Cam Carter at Navigare, in the review of the client/agency relationship management programs and contract negotiations for some of the largest corporate marketing departments in Australia in the public and private sector.
- Developed the communications strategy for another long-established Australian brand – Amplimesh Screens (remember the shark?) as a consultant with da Vinci marketing. Also developed the digital strategy for da Vinci (execution late 2013)